Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ankle and leg progress

Over the past few days I have managed to spray the aluminium ankles from JAG and the cylinder holders, cylinders and wedges from Russ Brown

I then screwed the details into place on the ankles - well I tried but my chubby hands and fingers are too big to fiddle around inside the ankle so I got Caroline to help out

I then bolted the ankles onto the legs using 4x 1/4"x38mm bolts - I still need to get some washers for that

The legs are coming along nicely and all I need now are the shoulder details, ankle side details, boosters and booster covers

With Christmas coming up we're pretty busy but I still hope to make some progress on the skins and dome over the next few weeks

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

R2 Blue

I've finally chosen the blue spray paint for artoo and have started to paint the various panels...

It's a much darker blue than my first droid and is more like that used in empire. There are various methods of getting the R2 colour right using a mixture of paints etc but that seems like a lot of hassle and can become a nightmare trying to match damaged panels later down the line

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Skins and bits and pieces

I have started work on the skins
They are 2 piece aluminium skins from John Sherrell.

Front skins (outer on left )...

I had these on my old droid but in my eagerness last time I glued them together and then had to glue the parts on like oct ports, power couplers etc on after using liquid metal. This time I've screwed them on through the inner skin and the outer skin will hide the countersunk screws - much better solution.

Here is the octagon port screwed into place....

and the coin slots....

coin slots, octagon port and power coupler screwed onto skins and outer skin attached temporarily....

and just a quick shot showing R2 coming together nicely...

Thursday, November 05, 2009


I have been busy paniting various parts white over the past couple of weeks and have found some handy props from Bunnings

Here is one of the painted JAG legs including the horeshoe....

The big rectangular hole in the centre is the new design for the boosters that JAG will be making later in the year :-)

and the completed TWD skirt.....

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rear Logics

Having no experience of using a soldering iron I have started work on assembling the rear logic boards from the JEDI controller run

There are over hundred LED's that need to be soldered into place.....

This is quite a daunting task but I will stick at it!!

Here it is with 2 LED's in place

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dome progress and a little help

I have spent a bit of time today sorting the inner dome out.

The outer dome sat too high on the inner dome leaving a gap between the bottom and the bottom ring so I started to sand the inner dome but after a while this didn't seem to be working and my arm was aching despite getting a little help from a lego y-wing pilot

I then decided on a more drastic course of action - cutting the dome in half which should at least make the outer dome sit 1mm lower and thus make it seem right

Here's me cutting the dome

It also may have the added bonus of making working on the dome a little easier in the long run

Here you can see the cut inner dome with the outer dome

The Y wing pilot has also helped make the holes for the holoprojectors in the inner dome

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dome work

I've started work on the dome
Its a 300mm laser cut dome from Daren Murrer

The dome consists of an inner complete dome and an outer with the details. I have started cutting the detail pieces out and cleaning the slag left behind in the laser cutting process.

Here is the outer dome with the lower panels cut out...

This is the little saw I'm using to cut the panels out and then I use a small file and emery board to get rid of the slag

This is the size of the dome sitting on the frame

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Droid number 2 frame complete

I finished building the frame today and have also received our shipping crates from the UK which included several astromech parts

Here is the completed Com8 frame....

and here is the skirt from Totally Wired Droids....

Hopefully next week I'll get some time to start work on the 300mm dome

Friday, July 03, 2009

Droid Number 2

I have now started to build my second droid and this time it will be an all aluminium unit where possible

Starting with the frame I bought a Com8 from James in Texas and what a piece of machining this is - anyone looking for the perfect frame then this is it as far as I'm concerned

Here is the kit of parts you get with the premium package....

It goes together quite easily

Here are the holders for the utility arms...

The really neat thing is the thought that has gone into the build of the frame and includes a lot of extras....

door latch

shoulder flanges

battery holders

side panel

At this stage I've still not decided upon what designation of droid I'm going to build

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Meeting the Australian Garrison

I met the Australian Garrison and Rebel Legion today at Marion shopping centre in Adelaide

Hopefully soon I will start to receive my first parts for my second droid so I can join in the fun

Saturday, February 28, 2009

R2's proud new owner

Simon from the UK Garrison came and collected my R2 unit today
Now its time for me to start planning the new build down under

Monday, February 23, 2009

R2 is now for sale - email for details

We are moving to Australia soon and I'm having to sell off my R2 as shipping is quite expensive
Email for further details

Movie Music at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall

Last night I took R2 along to the Movie Music eventwith the Rebel Legion at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham
This was the last event for my R2 before I put it up for sale as we are heading down to Australia

More photos and video can be seen at